It has been one heck of a year so far!
Accomplishments (In No Particular Order):
- I. Performed. PERFORMED. It wasn't just any kind of performance. I performed at my first ticketed live performance AND made a profit! I even sold the most tickets out of all the artists in the line-up. In case you missed it, check it out here.
- My student loans have finally gone into deferment! Since I am official enrolled at HCC as a part-time student, I no longer have to pay back my student loans until my enrollment status changes. Yay!
- I am successfully passing 2 classes for my music business degree at HCC. YAY! On top of that, I was elected secretary of the Music Entertainment Student Association (MESA). Double Yay!
- I was casted to perform in a show that talks about mental health: This Is My Brave! I am super excited to be performing with other talented individuals! Read all about My Brave Experience here.
- I've maintained positive relationships with friends and family AND I've been steadily taking my medicine, which is top priority!
- I SUCCESSFULLY APPLIED for SSI. Now I just have to wait 2-3 months for a decision, yay!
Things to Come:
- I'll be performing my last recital with the Guitar Center next month!
- I'm starting to go to church again!
- I see my old psychiatrist with a brand new pair of eyes in April!
- I might join The Houston Songwriting Meetup!
- More live performances to come!
- I am working on my next album!!!
With everything going on in my life, sometimes it can be hard for me to pay attention to my sleep hygiene (and my other hygiene for that matter!). The good is that, because I am doing so many music-related things in one day, it is easy for me to get tired of singing all the time and to just give myself a break. Staying honest with my mom about my habits has helped me realized when I need to tone things down and not do so much. I just can't believe that I came from being bored and unemployed to being a busy, aspiring singer-songwriter with ALWAYS something to do. So here are my goals (so far):
- REST!!! This is a very important goal for me. I tend to work myself very hard and I want to be able to let myself rest more instead of being so critical of myself.
- COLLABORATE!!! I am really looking forward to collaborating with other artists--and it doesn't have to be with music per se! When I am not doing songwriting, I also enjoy creative writing--poems and short stories. I also really like choreography and I've been itching to take my hula hoops back to the park in our usual spot! I am doing with being one with my music. I am ready to tackle my creative work into pieces and share them with the world. I hope they are nice enough to share something back!
- Establish a consistent social media presence. On top of balancing my mental health with my public image, I want to actually have fun with it, not just see it as a chore or a responsibility. I LOVE using Facebook Live and I never thought in a million years that I would learn how to use Instagram.
I can't wait to keep y'all posted on how the rest of this month goes and how the other one will begin! Take care and until next time!